Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Granny

My earliest recollections of my Granny was when I was about 9 or 10 years old. We drove up to her house and she came outside to greet us, like she did everytime after that, with a big smile on her face. She would always give us a hug and usually a kiss on the cheek. She would cook us a big dinner, and we would sit around and talk to her until bedtime. Right before bedtime whe would make our sleeping arrangements. Since she had only one bedroom, and not bathroom, she would have to tell each of where to sleep. She usually gave my Mom and Dad her room, and my little sister Kim slept with them. My brother Brian usually slept on the floor in her room in his sleeping bag. Granny always wanted Lisa to sleep in the same bed she slept in. They would sleep in the bed that was my Uncle Bruce's, that was on one end of the living room. Uncle Bruce went and slept somewhere else when we was there. My cousin Cheryl slept on the couch and I slept on a pallet on the floor next to the couch. I remember the first morning I woke up I heard Granny suffling along the floor in the living room. I looked up and saw her in her house coat and slippers. She went over to the woodstove, and put more wood in in. It was nice and warm and cozy in there. I could smell coffee, bacon and biscuits cooking in the kitchen. Everytime we would go visit she would always cook alot of food. That morning I remember I needed to go to the bathroom, but I didn't want to go to the outhouse by myself. About then my cousin Cheryl woke up and said she had to go to the bathroom and asked me if I wanted to go with her. I did, so we went on out and did our business. I never did like that old outhouse. It was small, dark and smelly. It was sacry to me too. After we got back into the house we would go sit at the table in the kitchen until breakfast was ready. She had coffee, grits, biscuits, red eye gravy, bacon and sausage. The biscuits she always made by scratch. She had a big wooden bowl that she mixed the biscuit dough in by hand. I always loved to watch her work in the kitchen. I wouldn't take anything for all the memories of my Granny. I miss her, and I loved her so much. I know that one day I will see her in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment